Department of Philosophy II
Logic and Epistemology
Roberto Ciuni, PhD
Areas of Interest (AOS marked with *)
- Logic: Logics of Agency*, Deontic Logic*, Temporal Logics*, Epistemic Logic; Logics with Constructive Negation (Connexive Logic, Nelson’s N3 and N4); Many-valued Logics*; Paraconsistent Logics*.
- Epistemology and Philosophy of Science: The Dynamics of Theory Change, Procedures of Falsification.
- Metaphysics: Presentism/Eternalism Debate*, Actualism/Possibilism debate*, Haecceitism, Causation.
- PhD in Philosophy, June 2008, University of Florence.
- Thesis: Existential Dependence in Temporal Contexts. Supervisors: Prof. Roberta Lanfredini and Prof. Fabrice Correia.
- MA, December 2003, Scuola Normale Superiore of Pisa.
- Thesis: Identificazione transtemporale e principio dell’”only x and y”. Supervisors: Prof. Mauro Mariani.
- MA, October 2003, University of Pisa.
- Thesis: Fenomenismo e Fenomenologia nelle Osservazioni Filosofiche di Ludwig Wittgenstein. Supervisors: Prof. Mauro Mariani.
- (with Alberto Zanardo) Completeness of a Branching-time Logic with Possible Choices, Studia Logica, 96/3: 393-420, 2010.
- (with Francesco Berto) Gaps e Gluts. Due avversari della bivalenza (Gaps and Gluts. Two rivals of bivalence), Bollettino della Società Italiana di Filosofia Analitica, 1: 239-250, 2010.
- The Search for the Diodorean Modalities, in R. Ciuni (ed.) Models of Time, Humana.mente 8: 47-65 (available at http://www.humanamente.eu/PDF/Paper_In Search of Diorodean_issue 8.pdf) 2009.
- From Achievement Stit to Metric Possible Choices, Logica 2009 Yearbook, London, College Publications, pp. 33-46, 2010.
- (with Rosja Mastop) Attributing Distributed Responsibility in Stit Logic, in E. Pacuit and J. Horty, Logic, Rationality, and Interaction. Second International Workshop, LORI 2009, Springer, pp. 66-75, 2009.
- Models of Time, Humana.mente 8, January 2009 (available at http://www.humanamente.eu/Issues/Issue8.html)
- Composition, Counterfactuals and Causation, Humana.mente 19, December 2011 (available at http://www.humanamente.eu/index.html)
Work in Progress
- Completeness of a Group STIT with Next Operators and Cognate Logics.
- (with Jan Broersen) A Deontic Probabilistic STIT Logic and its Applications
- (with Carlo Proietti) The Abundance of the Future: A Paraconsistent Approach to Future Contingents.
- (with Giuliano Torrengo) Presentism and Cross-Temporal Relations, to be included in 9 below.
- (with Giuliano Torrengo and Kristie Miller) New Papers on the Present, currently in talks with Philosophia Verlag.