Welcome to iMOS: Molecular Sciences - International Master's Program with a Focus on Spectroscopy and Simulation
iMOS offers you the unique chance to acquire and to apply in practice cutting-edge skills in theoretical and spectroscopic techniques in the fields of molecular chemistry, bio-chemistry, and physics.
- The Master's Program takes two years
- The teaching language is English
- Study within a very active, interdisciplinary research environment
- Work together with top researchers in their field
- Gain early hands-on experience in high profile research within the Cluster of Excellence RESOLV
- Spend three month international internship
- Qualify for your funded doctoral thesis in Germany
- Fast Track Option for outstanding students: Start your doctoral work after only one year
- Online application: https://dbs-lin.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/pc2/application/application.php
- Submit your academic certificates
- If you are not a native speaker, file your English language certificate
- Talk to us in a skype introductory conversation
- Get your visa
- Course start: October
- Flyer and Poster
- preliminary time table winter semester 2015/16
Who should apply?
Bachelor students in
- related Engineering fields
We are looking for students who have a passion for science and want to work in an interntional environment.
What skills should you have?
This is a highly competitive program demanding your skills in quantum mechanics, mathematics, physics, and chemistry. You should have already learned:
- Schrödinger's equation and wave functions
- Hamilton operator
- real and complex valued vector spaces, matrices
- basis set transformations, partial differentiation
- integration over arbitrary dimensional space
- basic statistical entities like distributions, averages, data regression, and hypothesis tests
- basic understanding of spectroscopic techniques and their connection to atomic and molecular systems: rotational, vibrational, and electronic spectroscopy
Basic knowledge about concepts of classical mechanics and thermodynamics/statistical mechanics is mandatory.
What we offer:
- Comprehensive student support
- Guaranteed housing
- Full-time student benefits
- German and English language courses
- Three month international internship
- Possibility to start a paid Ph.D. study after Master
- Active research environment with internationally renowned scientists
- Full assistance in study and research
- Earn cutting-edge skills in theoretical and spectroscopic techniques
- Gain deep insights into molecular physics, chemistry, and bio-chemistry
- Acquire the ability to apply the tools to a wide range of interdisciplinary scientific challenges
- Learn how to develop and solve scientific questions by employing suitable theoretical and experimental methods
- Work in international, multicultural, and interdisciplinary teams
- Learn more about the iMOS Program, Solvation Science and the student life in Bochum visiting our comprehensive blog
- Insight the process of getting a visa and/or getting used to a new city from the new iMOS students of 2015: post 1, post 2
Germany is one of the world's leaders in applied optical technologies, chemistry, and pharmacy. There exist excellent opportunities for alumni with a top-level education and training in spectroscopy and microscopy, as well as simulation techniques which can be learned in the iMOS Master's Program.