B.A. and M.A. Studies

Most B.A. and M.A. courses are held in German language. If you are interested in pursuing a B.A. or M.A. with a specialization in East Asian Religions at RUB, please consult the German language version of this page.

Doctoral Studies

Dissertation projects on topics related to East Asian Religions can be carried out both at the Faculty of East Asian Studies (leading to a degree in East Asian Studies) and at CERES (with a degree in Religious Studies). The thesis has to be submitted either in German or in English.

Unless you are applying for the doctoral program "Transnational Institution Building and Transnational Identities in East Asia", we follow the traditional German model for the humanities. That means that you will focus directly on your dissertation, without any compulsory coursework to be completed beforehand. Both research and writing processes will be accompanied by intense tutoring. 

We expect you to have acquired a working knowledge of the field and most necessary soft skills during your M.A. studies. However, students can cover up any deficiencies or broaden their knowledge and skills by taking select subject related M.A. courses and a wide range of courses offered by the campus wide research school.

For details, please contact the prospective supervisor(s).