RUB » iMOS » Practical Information

Graduation grants for international students

The scholarships are offered to international students who:

- are studying at RUB and have graduated from a foreign school and/or completed their first university degree abroad,
- are close to completion of their final degree (Bachelor; Master; State Examination or equivalent degree), and thus plan to graduate in the upcoming term,
- effected good to very good performances during their studies, and
- are reliant on financial support during their final phase of study.
The scholarships amount to € 400 monthly over a period of four months.


Start Here:

RUBiss maintains updated information for international degree-seeking students at

You can find information on financing before or during your studies, health insurance, visa and residence, the enrolment process and more. To jump directly to the finances page, click here.

Tuition fee and social fee

Ruhr-Universität Bochum (RUB) does not charge tuition fees. The students must only pay a semester contribution fee of about €330 per semester. This fee includes free use of public transport in North-Rhine Westphalia, and reduced prices for food and beverages in the cafeteria (Mensa) and canteens.


The Scholarships listed below are for students to apply on their own, separate from their application to the iMOS program. Note that the scholarship application process may begin a full year before a student's intended program begins, especially in the case of a rare DAAD fellowship for a MSc program.

Search Portals:

This list is not exhaustive. Details about the scholarships must be enquired from the respective foundations. The institutions such as

  • DAAD or StipendiumPlus also provide an overview of various funding resources. You may also search any country specific DAAD pages.

HINT: on the DAAD scholarships page, search keyword 'Master' and leave the other fields blank. The Masters Studies for All Disciplines program each year only applies to select countries of origin and this may change each year. That deadline may be in  December or earlier.

Short-Term Internship Funding Options:

PROMOS is a scholarship program of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). This program offers scholarships to the students who plan to study, intern or research abroad.

LabExchange is a grant programme for graduate students (Master) and undergraduate students in higher semesters (Bachelor) who are planning to do a research project abroad.

European commission offers financial support to the students who wish to go abroad for 3 to 12 months.

Longer - Term Funding Options:

Bayer Science & Education Foundation says: “The Bayer Science & Education Foundation supports students and young professionals that would like to study or work outside of their home country with the Bayer Foundation Fellowship Program, which consists of five scholarships. […] Students and young professionals in the fields of biology, molecular biology, bioengineering, bioinformatics, chemistry, biochemistry, pharmaceuticals and computational life sciences can apply for the Otto Bayer Scholarship.”

Duration: up to 1 year

Das Evangelische Studienwerk says: “Within the framework of the support for Eastern Europe, Evangelisches Studienwerk awards scholarships for studying at German universities of applied sciences and universities.”

Duration: throughout the entire course of studies

Das Evangelische Studienwerk says: “Evangelisches Studienwerk awards scholarships for studying at universities of applied sciences and universities all over Germany.”

Duration: throughout the course of academic study

Evonik Foundation says: “The Evonik Foundation supports mainly students preparing doctoral, diploma and master’s theses.” For example, the Stipendium with a February 2022 deadline.

Duration: for Master's theses: 6 months, for semester abroad: 6 months

Rosa-Luxemburg Foundation says: “In 1999 the Rosa Luxemburg Foundation’s (RLF) “Studienwerk” (an organisation that provides social, financial and cultural support services to students in Germany) began awarding scholarships to German and foreign students (under graduate and doctorate) who study in Germany.” German language proficiency may be required.

The Heinrich Böll Foundation says: “The Heinrich Böll Foundation grants scholarships to approximately 1,000 undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students of all subjects and nationalities per year, who are pursuing their degree at universities, universities of applied sciences (‘Fachhochschulen’), or universities of the arts (‘Kunsthochschulen’). We expect our scholarship recipients to have excellent academic records, to be socially and politically engaged, and to have an active interest in the basic values of the foundation: ecology and sustainability, democracy and human rights, self determination and justice.”

Duration: Regular period of study, may be extended by one semester

The Konrad-Adenauer-Foundation says: ”The scholarships are open to young German students, journalists and graduate students as well as to young graduate students from abroad who study in Germany. ”

 Duration: Regular period of study, may be extended by one semester.

The Konrad-Adenauer-Foundation says: “The Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung awards scholarships to international master students and graduates in order to enable study and research at universities in Germany.”

Duration: The minimum period is one year and the remaining length of your studies or research in Germany has to be at least two semesters.


Student jobs

In order to pay the tuition and the social fee many students work during their studies. Students may get a student assistant position at the university or find a job with an employer outside the university. To find a job outside the university, good German language skills are most often essential. Usually, it is possible to get a position in one of the university's institutes after the first semester; however, this again, depends on one's academic achievements. Student assistants usually work 9 hours per week, earning a monthly income of about € 400. Although there are relatively many of these positions available at the university, we cannot guarantee that you will find such a position when you come here. By law, international students are allowed to work up to 3 months full-time or 6 months half-time plus 10 hours per week for student assistant positions within the university.

The ASTA (Students' Union Executive Committee) holds a regularly updated list of student jobs with employers outside the university.

The official job portal of the Ruhr-Universität Bochum also includes many student job announcements at Mini-Jobs for students with only a bachelors degree may not be posted here and are organized directly with the advisor / employer, e.g. lab TA, upon arrival.

The RUB Career Service holds a regularly updated list of online job portals.