How do operations under Covid 19 conditions work in practice?
(Last update: 12 February 2021)
On 29 October 2020 the mask obligation was extended and exists no longer only in the buildings, but also outside on the entire Campus. Since 25 January 2021, only surgical face masks and FFP-2 masks are allowed. See also the FAQ dated 28 January 2021.
Since 1 August 2020, all employees have had the option to alternate between working from home and working on campus. Starting 14 December 2020, working from home should be the norm whenever possible. Employees who prefer to work on campus can do so if they use their office alone and if they can safely travel to RUB. If possible, service and committee meetings should not be conducted in person but online.
Lectures, seminars, exams
Following the new Coronavirus Protection Regulation in the state of NRW, the Rectorate at RUB has decided that no in-person teaching, lab internships or examinations should take place from 16 December 2020 until at least 7 March 2021.
Exceptions only exist for examinations and preparatory measures for which postponement is unacceptable or impossible. Lecturers and examiners can apply for special authorisation from their faculty for these exceptions.
University library and learning rooms
From Wednesday 16 December 2020, all places of learning will be closed – this applies to the places of learning on campus, such as in the Central Library (UB) and in the SSC cafeteria, as well as to the learning workstations in Blue Square in the centre of Bochum. In addition to their electronic offering, which has been widely expanded since the beginning of April 2020, UB and individual departmental libraries continue to offer their scanning and lending services for printed media on a pre-order basis.
Business trips and excursions
Due to the current situation, the regulations for all business and research trips may change at short notice. The final decision is made by Department 3. Excursions are not possible at all right now.
Key rules for operations under Covid-19 conditions?
- Keep your distance! At least 1.5 meters (5 feet). If that’s not possible, use plexiglass partition or cover your mouth and nose with a mask or cloth.
- Face masks: See the FAQ dated 28 January 2021.
- Communication: If possible always communicate by phone, email or video conference.
- Greetings: Avoid at all cost! No handshakes! No hugs!
- Rooms in general: Air all rooms regularly or leave ventilation/air conditioning switched on.
- Confined spaces: (e.g. lifts, toilets, changing rooms, photocopy rooms, tea kitchens) should be used by one person at a time.
- Social rooms: Should be used only by persons who are not allowed to eat and drink at the workplace (e.g. laboratory, workshop). Only one or a few persons at a time. Seats at a distance of at least 1.5 m (5 feet) next to each other (not facing each other).
- Office workstations: Mainly in individual offices; alternatively: staff rotation in offices with several occupants resp. working from home. In offices used by several people at the same time, the distance between seats should be at least 1.5 m, if possible not facing each other. Auxiliary plexiglass partitioning. Until presumably 7 March 2021, offices should be used by only one person at a time.
- Workshops and labs: Follow the distancing rules. Don’t share any personal protective equipment with others. If possible, don’t share any tools with others, clean them regularly and wear gloves when tools are used by more than one person.
Key rules for Covid-19 infection, symptoms, contact, international travel
- Covid-19 infection verified: Patients who have tested positive for Covid-19 are not allowed to enter the RUB campus and facilities until the responsible public health department has lifted the quarantine.
- Symptoms present: Persons with symptoms of a respiratory tract infection (cough, sniffles, sore throat with/without fever) and/or suffering from newly occurring odour or taste disorders are not allowed to enter their workplace; please contact your doctor instead (if necessary Covid-19 test, sick leave).
- Contact with a patient: Persons who have had direct contact with a Covid-19 patient may only enter the RUB campus and facilities after the quarantine imposed by the health department has ended (at the earliest 14 days after contact).
- International travel: During quarantine periods, RUB campus and facilities may not be entered. Please see the “Corona Einreiseverordnung NRW” (i.e. entry regulations NRW) for detailed information.
- Current information sheet as PDF.