How do operations under Covid 19 conditions work in practice?
Last update: 14 January 2022
Employees should work from home as long as there is no valid reason why they need to be at their workplace on campus. In-person courses are not affected by this rule. Employees whose jobs require them to work on campus must always carry their 3G proof (i.e. proof of Covid-19 vaccination, recovery or certified test result, such as the so-called Bürgertest, which can’t be more than 24 hours old). Compliance with 3G regulations must be monitored and documented in the respective areas. Detailed regulations can be found in the “Serviceportal” (German)
Within the buildings of RUB there is an obligation to wear a mouth-nose protection (OP mask or FFP2 mask). Only when using a room alone for a longer period of time, the mask obligation does not apply. Until now, the NRW Corona Protection Ordinance also provided for exceptions to the mask obligation when several persons meet in a room – depending on the observance of distances and the immunization status. These have been deleted from the ordinance due to the higher infectivity of the omicron variant. Mouth-nose protection should therefore now be worn when several people come together at the workplace
There are access restrictions for events. Participation in the events is only possible with a so-called 3G proof (vaccinated, recovered or tested – German: geimpft, genesen, getestet). Some events are even open only to vaccinated and recovered persons. The university is obliged to check the proofs and must exclude other persons from participation.
During staff meetings, the obligation to wear a mask and to keep the minimum distance still applies. These protective measures may only be waived on an exceptional and voluntary basis if the minimum distance of 1.5 m is safely maintained and all persons present are immunised. Further Details in the “Serviceportal” (partly German).
Lectures, seminars, exams
In the winter semester 2021/22, students have the opportunity to attend a few discourse-oriented courses in person and thereby study and interact with each other on campus; at the same time, we prevent large crowds from gathering on campus by offering large lectures online.
University library and learning rooms
There are various places for students to learn on campus. The page places of learning provides an up-to-date overview. The University Library has been open again since 6 September 2021.
Excursions and business trips
The current regulations on business and research trips are available on a fact sheet in the “Serviceportal” (German).
Key rules for operations under Covid-19 conditions
- Reduce contacts: Reduce meetings with other persons to the necessary minimum (Federal „Occupational Health and Safety Corona Ordinance“, Corona-ArbeitsschutzVO Bund, valid until March, 19rd 2022). If possible, work form home.
- Proof of the 3G status at the workplace (for detailed regulations see RUB Serviceportal/Corona).
- For necessary contacts: Keep at least 1.5 m distance to others. Wear a face mask (“surgical mask”).
- Corona tests: Employees who do not work exclusively from home are entitled to two Corona self-test kits per week.
- Keep your distance! At least 1.5 meters (5 feet). If that’s not possible, use plexiglass partition or cover your mouth and nose with a mask or cloth.
- Face masks: A surgical face mask or a FFP2 mask must be worn everywhere inside all RUB buildings.
- Ventilation: Ventilate regularly / leave technical ventilation switched on.
- Confined spaces: (e.g. elevators, restrooms, changing rooms, rooms with printers, kitchenettes): individual use where possible.
- Staff rooms (used for breaks, etc.): Seating distance at least 1,5 m.
- Offices: Use office space individually if possible. In this case, a face mask is not required. If offices have to be used by more than one person at the same time: chairs have to be at least 1.5 m apart and are placed next to each other, not opposite each other. Additionally plexiglass shields may be used as a protective measure.
- Meetings: If possible, conduct online. If on site: Keep a minimum distance of 1.5 m. Wear a face mask. For details please refer to “Muster-Gefährdungsbeurteilung Corona” (“Corona risk assessment”, English version available).
- Events (committee meetings, conferences, congresses, teaching events, etc.): Proof of 3G status required: Participation only when immunized (vaccinated or recovered) or tested. Minimum distance of 1.5 m. Wear a face mask.
- Workshops and laboratories: Do not share personal protective equipment with others. If possible, use tools individually, clean them regularly and, if possible, wear gloves when tools have to be used by more than one person.
Key rules for Covid-19 infection, symptoms, contact, international travel
- All rules aplying in the case of Covid-19 infection, contact with infected persons and international travel can be found here.
- Information sheet: Covid-19 case at RUB – what to do? All information as PDF.