The Enrolment

You have to complete the enrolment procedure personally. You will find all further information here.

Tuition Fee/Social Contribution

After the completion of your enrolment you have to pay the social contribution (Winter Term 2016/17: € 303,04) to the university. For foreign students it is advisable to open a German bank account and pay after your arrival in Bochum. Otherwise you might have to pay high remittance fees. Two options are available:

  1. Studentin_Mensa

    You give a direct debit authorisation, which is valid for future semesters. The required forms will be provided to you during the enrolment process.
  2. You will get a pre-printed transfer form together with all your enrolment documents. So you are able to pay the social contribution through your bank account. A transfer payment via online-banking is also possible.


The social contribution is mandatory for all Ruhr University students. It comprises payments to the university’s students representatives (Allgemeiner Studierenden Ausschuss - AStA), the semester ticket as well as the Student Support Services (Akademisches Förderungswerk - AKAFÖ), which maintains social institutions and university facilities such as the canteen, student halls of residence and cafeterias.

For additional information concerning the social contribution, please visit the internet site of the student secretary (Studierendensekretariat).

Semester Ticket

Within the region of the VRR (Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Ruhr) underground, busses, trams, S-trains and the local trains Regionalexpress (RE) and Regionalbahn (RB) can be used free of cost in the economy class. For all other trains of the federal train system (Deutsch-Bahn AG) the following restrictions apply:

  • The semester ticket is generally not valid for the first class and does not enable journeys on intercity express trains (ICE) or other trains subject to a supplementary fare, such as IC and EC trains. For so-called D-trains special restrictions will need to be taken into consideration.
  • Via the semester ticket students can use RE/RB-trains on an unlimited basis within the entire VRR-region. The VRR-region stretches roughly from Düsseldorf over Duisburg, Essen and Bochum to Dortmund as well as from Recklinghausen over Herne and Witten to Wuppertal.

You can find more detailed information regarding the semester ticket on the internet pages of the Central Student Advisory (Zentrale Studienberatung).

Student Identification Card

With your enrolment you will receive your student ID-card (chipcard). This chipcard has the following functions:

  • It provides you with a valid ticket in the local transportation system within the VRR-region.
  • It provides you with appropriate identification for related self-service terminals. These self-service terminals enable various administrative processes, for example printouts of study certificates, change of address, of your internet access, re-registration as well as updating of the VRR-ticket (semester imprint).

Re-registration is effected by payment of the social contribution for each respective semester. The imprint of your semester ticket on your student ID-chip card can be updated at the self-service terminals. You can find these self-service terminals for example in the foyer of the university administration building (building UV) and on the ground floor of the university library.

The chipcard also provides access and admission to the university library and its lending services. The chipcard enables students to print a study certificate or change their address at any time regardless of the opening hours of the student secretary. Further information on the student ID-card (chipcard) and the self-service terminals can be found on the internet homepage of the department 6 (Dezernat 6).