Research and teaching is carried out in a total of twenty faculties at the RUB. The term "Faculty" is used for RUB’s disciplinary institutional units. They are responsible for the organisation of research and teaching within their academic subject area and form the heart of the academic education.
Have a Look
Facilities of the “Talent Incubator” the RUB
The institutions for the promotion of young researchers - from the university-wide Research School to Graduate Schools and Colleges right up to the various young talent groups - make the RUB an internationally prestigious "Talent Incubator."
ICAMS focuses on the development and application of a new generation of simulation tools for multi-scale materials modelling with the aim of reducing development cost and time for new materials.
In Research Departments, top-level researchers from different faculties unite in a multi-disciplinary environment for a given time. Their main themes reflect the profile areas of the rub.
With its Applied Competence Clusters (ACC), the RUB builds a bridge between research and industrial utilisation of the research results.
Central Academic Institutions
In the Central Academic Institutions, researchers probe the depths of precisely defined subject areas without being assigned to a specific faculty. The Cultural Science Institute (KWI) in Essen operates in the tradition of an international Advanced Study Institute. This interdisciplinary Central Academic Facility for Humanities and Cultural Studies is supported by the University Alliance Ruhr .
Central Academic Institutions:
- Center for Religious Studies (CERES)
- Development Research and Development Policy
- Industrial Sciences
- International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict (IFHV)
- IT-Security (Horst-Görtz-Institute)
- Mining and Energy Law
- Social Movements
Academic Institutions of the UA Ruhr:
Institutes associated with RUB
‘Institutes associated with RUB’ are scientific institutions legally, organisationally, and economically independent of RUB which have been accredited as working together with RUB. The independence of the institution is not being affected by being associated with the university.
- Applied Innovation Research (IAI) e.V.
- Educational research and educational law (IfBB)
- Housing, Urban and Regional Development GmbH (InWIS)
- Hygiene and Environmental Medicine - Ruhr-Institute for Hygiene
- IDEMA Gesellschaft für verständliche Sprache mbH
- Research on Hazardous Substances (IGF)
- Underground Infrastrukture (IKT)