Spring School: Social Cognition, Emotion and Joint Action
March 6th to 10th 2017, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Germany
An interdisciplinary discussion of abilities, pathologies and mechanisms
The spring course aims to provide state-of-the-art scientific and research-oriented training for post-doctoral researchers and highly promising doctoral students from European and overseas universities and research institutes on central questions concerning “Social Cognition, Emotion and Joint Action”
Call for participation:
Tuition is free, thanks to both the Humboldt Foundation, the Volkswagen Foundation as well as the Center for Mind, Brain and Cognitive Evolution (Bochum).
We invite applications from PhD students, and post-doctoral researchers. Applicants may also propose poster presentations. Accepted poster presenters who do not have their own institutional funding will receive support: 125 Euros for those based in Europe; 250 Euro for non-EU students or researchers. This support will be limited to 20 persons.
Leading researchers from the fields of philosophy, experimental and developmental psychology as well as cognitive and social neuroscience will present state-of-the-art research in the following areas:
- Emotion and empathy
- joint action
- pathologies in social cognition
- false belief understanding
- Mechanisms of social cognition (e.g., predictive coding, mirror neurons)
Confirmed speakers (in alphabetical order) include:
- István Aranyosi, Bilkent University, Ankara
- Giovanna Colombetti, University of Exeter
- Thomas Fuchs, Universitätsklinik für Psychiatrie, Heidelberg
- Shaun Gallagher, University of Memphis
- Jakob Hohwy, Monash University, Melbourne
- Richard Menary, Macquarie University, Sidney
- Albert Newen, Ruhr-Universität Bochum
- Elisabeth Pacherie, Institut Jean Nicod, Paris
- Josef, Perner, Universität Salzburg
- Tobias Schlicht, Ruhr-Universität Bochum
- Victoria Southgate, University of London
- Deborah Tollefson, University of Memphis
- Kai Vogeley, Universitätsklinik für Psychiatrie, Köln
Financially supported by: Humboldt-Stiftung (Anneliese-Maier Research Award: Prof. Gallagher); VolkswagenStiftung (Lichtenberg-Professorship: Prof. Schlicht), Center for Mind, Brain and Cognitive Evolution, Bochum (Director: Prof. Newen)
How to apply?
Applicants are asked to submit the following until the 15th Dezember, 2016:
Completed online Application in Easy Chair (Easy Chair -> http://bit.ly/2bzg5dr ) by uploading one PDF-document which includes:
- Statement of Interest/Purpose (not more than 300 words)
- A full curriculum vitae, including a list of publications, if any
- If submitting a poster, an abstract of 500-700 words
A limited number of rooms at Landesspracheninstitut will be available for those who have been accepted and who would like to stay there for the duration of the spring school. The price is 50 Eur/night to be paid by the guest. The booking code will be made available on request. Please note that reservations will be made on a first-come first-serve basis.
Accommodation and travel
Bochum Central Station is served by ICE, IC, EC, regional and suburban trains at a high frequency. From there, you can reach the University easily by taking underground line U35 straight to the stop Ruhr-Universität. The U35 (direction Bochum Hustadt) runs at five-minute intervals on weekdays and takes just ten minutes to get to the university.
Travel recommendations for long-distance and air travellers
Four airports - Dortmund, Münster/Osnabrück, Cologne/Bonn and Düsseldorf - are within a reasonable distance of the Ruhr-Universität. Düsseldorf Airport, however, is not only the largest, but also the most easily accessed: there are direct connections between the airport and Bochum's main train station up to eight times per hour, and the journey only takes a good half an hour.
Travel recommendations for car drivers
Motorists can also easily reach the Ruhr-Universität via the dense network of motorways in Germany and especially in North Rhine-Westphalia. The quickest route is via the motorway junction Bochum/Witten, where the A43 and A44 meet. Simply take the exit Bochum-Querenburg, follow the signs to the “Ruhr-Universität” and then the (electronic) information boards. Free parking is sign posted.
Accommodation is provided only for Prof. Churchland. If you attend the workshop, please arrange this yourself. Below are some suggestions:
- Kolpinghaus Gaststätte GmbH Bochum | Maximilian-Kolbe-Str. 14-18 | 44793 Bochum | Phone: (+49 234) 60190 | Fax: (+49 234) 65 8 52 | hotel-kolpinghaus-bochum (at) arcor.de
- Ibis Hotel Bochum Central | Universitätsstrasse 3 | 44789 Bochum | Phone: (+49 234) 33311 | Fax: (+49)234/3331867
- Ibis Hotel Bahnhof Bochum | Kurt-Schumacher-Platz 13-15 | 44787 Bochum | Phone: (+49 234) 91430 | Fax (+49 234) 68077
- Hotel Aleppo Nordring 30 | 44787 Bochum | Tel (49 234) 588380 | Fax (+49 234) 5883829 | firstname.lastname@example.org
A good overview for B&B-offers can be found on the following Sites:http://bedandbreakfast.de/bochum/index.php?lang=en http://www.bedandbreakfastruhr.de/index_1.htm