The DIscipline of Canon Law
2. Canon Law as a Science
Canon Law is a systematic discipline, that uses own methods and theory
- to show, which norms are applicable law,
- to show, on which principles norms are based, which function they fulfil,
- to critically prove, whether applicable law relates to the Church’s self-conception of ist mission,
- to unravel legal wrong and injustice,
- to encourage the development of law.
You can study Canon Law as an own degree programm after graduating in Theology or Jurisprudence and gain a Canon Law license (Lic. iur. can) or doctorate (Dr. iur. can.).