Living in Bochum
Bochum is situated in the Ruhr district which is one of the most diversified and culturally active regions in Germany. The Ruhr District, as a geographical term, refers to the area defined by the rivers Ruhr, Emscher and Lippe. It is one of the most important economic regions in Europe. With about 5.3 million inhabitants, it is one of the oldest and most influential industrial regions in the world and it is nowadays a center of business and services.
Bochum is a modern cosmopolitan city with a population of about 400.000 inhabitants. It is located approximately 60 km from Düsseldorf and about 100 km from Cologne. Bochum offers a diversity of cultural activities to its inhabitants and guests: several cinemas and museums, miscellaneous cultural establishments, the biggest shopping center in Germany, a famous theater, a football stadium, a lot of pubs and discotheques, a planetarium and an observatory.
- Official homepage of Bochum (English/German): www.bochum.de
- Timetable information of the local public transportation system (English/German): www.vrr.de
- Events and tickets (English/German): www.bochum-tourismus.de
Links about living in Germany
- Information about living in Germany given by the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service): www.daad.de/deutschland/en/
- Studies and living in Germany (German/English/French/Chinese/Spanish) : www.campus-germany.de
- Information about Germany: news, politics, economy, culture, weather etc. (30 languages): www.dw-world.de
- This website is the English-language news and information source for expatriates living in or moving to Germany. It gives a lot of information about how to survive in Germany: www.expatica.com