The Ruhr-University's International Office offers a great deal of information for foreign students and may be able to help with some of your questions.
Please be sure to consult their homepage:
- There are German courses especially offered by the RUB-Research School for doctoral students (if you are interested in taking part please let us know).
We would appreciate and welcome it if you decided to learn German.
- If you need an extra English course you will have to organise
it yourself. (Ask other IGSN students or colleagues in the department
where you are doing your PhD-project).
- The University has a "Uni- Sport Centre" where you
can do all kinds of sports. Programmes are available on the University's
- We have several leaflets about the Ruhr Area and activities in and around the Ruhr Area (please
contact a student assistant in room FNO 1/111).
- If you are planning to come to Bochum for the first time (to start
your programme) please do not come on a Saturday or Sunday. Try
to make your travel arrangements so that you arrive in the morning
(this means before 12:00 p.m.). This is very important, because
we have to get the keys for your room/flat.
- In Germany we have to pay fees (known as GEZ) for radio and television sets.
If you own a radio or television (even one you do not use!), you are obliged to pay these fees.
Possessing a radio or TV, but not paying GEZ is illegal!
- Neuroscientific books concerning your studies can be borrowed from the IGSN (ask our secretary Mrs Espinoza).
- We have translated some of the standard letters and forms you will receive or need to use
(e.g. for making a cash transfer or a letter from your health insurance company).
- There is a free "Handbook to Germany" (very useful) available to you! (Only for IGSN-students, only one copy per person).
- Every change of residence has to be reported to the appropriate authorities (Bürgerbüro). This also applies if you
move house or flat within Bochum. (Please collect forms from our office).
- Please always give your new address to
- the student assistant (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- the IGSN office. (email@example.com)
- to your bank
- health insurance
- Deutsche Telekom (the telephone company , if you have your own telephone).
- Post office
- Please always let the IGSN know if you have changed you bank account (so that they can transfer the money to you).