Study of chemistry at the University of Palermo, Italy.
PhD at the ETH Zürich and at the PSI Villingen, Switzerland under supervision of Prof. R. Nesper (2008).
Postdoctoral fellow with Prof. Yi Cui und Prof. R.A. Huggins at Stanford University, CA, USA (2008-2010).
Since 1.6.2010 leader of the young research group "Semiconductor & Energy Conversion" at CES.
- L.B. Hu, F. La Mantia, H. Wu, X. Xie, J.R. McDonough, Y. Cui, “Lithium-Ion Textile Batteries with Large Areal Mass Loading”, Advanced Energy Materials, DOI: 10.1002/aenm.201100261.
- N. Hüsken, M. Gębala, F. La Mantia, W. Schuhmann, N. Metzler-Nolte, “Mechanistic studies of Fc-PNA(•DNA) surface dynamics based on the kinetics of electron-transfer processes”, Chemistry - A European Journal, DOI:10,1002/chem.201003764.
- R. Ruffo, F. La Mantia, C.D. Wessells, R.A. Huggins, Y. Cui, “Electrochemical characterization of LiCoO2 as rechargeable electrode in aqueous LiNO3 electrolyte”, Solid State Ionics 192, 289-292 (2011).
- M. Gębala, W. Schuhmann, F. La Mantia, “A new AC-SECM mode. On the way to high-resolution local impedance measurements in SECM”, Electrochemistry Communications 13, 689-693 (2011).
- F. La Mantia, M. Pasta, H.D. Deshazer, B.E. Logan, Y. Cui, “Batteries for Efficient Energy Extraction from a Salinity Difference”, Nano Letters 11, 1810-1813 (2011).
- C.D. Wessells, F. La Mantia, H.D. Deshazer, R.A. Huggins, Y. Cui, “Synthesis and electrochemical performance of a lithium titanium phosphate anode for aqueous lithium ion batteries”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society 158, A352-A355 (2011).
- M. Pasta, F. La Mantia, R. Ruffo, F. Peri, C. Della Pina, C.M. Mari, “Optimizing operating conditions and electrochemical characterization of glucose-gluconate alkaline fuel cells”, Journal of Power Sources 196, 1273-1278 (2011).
- L.B. Hu, H. Wu, F. La Mantia, Y. Yang, Y. Cui, “Flexible secondary Li-ion batteries laminated on paper”, ACS Nano 4, 5843-5848 (2010).
- M. Pasta, F. La Mantia, Y. Cui, “A new approach to glucose sensing at gold electrodes”, Electrochemistry Communications 12, 1407-1410 (2010).
- F. La Mantia, H. Habazaki, M. Santamaria, F. Di Quarto, “A critical assessment of the Mott-Schottky analysis for the characterisation of passive film-electrolyte junctions”, Russian Journal of Electrochemistry 46, 1306-1322 (2010).
- M. Pasta, F. La Mantia, Y. Cui, “Mechanism of glucose electrochemical oxidation on gold surface”, Electrochimica Acta 55, 5561-5568 (2010).
- M. Pasta, F. La Mantia, L.B. Hu, H.D. Deshazer, Y. Cui, “Aqueous supercapacitors on conductive cotton”, Nano Research 3, 452-458 (2010).
- F. La Mantia, M. Santamaria, F. Di Quarto, H. Habazaki, “Physicochemical characterisation of thermally aged anodic films on magnetron sputtered niobium”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society 157, C258-C267 (2010).
- L.B. Hu, M. Pasta, F. La Mantia, L.F. Cui, S. Jeong, H.D. Deshazer, J.W. Choi, S.H. Han, Y. Cui, “Stretchable conductive energy textiles”, Nano Letters 10, 708-714 (2010).
- J.R. McDonough, J.W. Choi, Y. Yang, F. La Mantia, Y. Zhang, Y. Cui, “Carbon nanofiber supercapacitors with large areal capacitances”, Applied Physics Letters 95, 243109/1- 243109/3 (2009).
- L.B. Hu, J.W. Choi, Y. Yang, S. Jeong, F. La Mantia, L.F. Cui, Y. Cui, “Highly conductive paper for energy storage devices”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106, 21490-21494 (2009).
- F. La Mantia, F. Rosciano, N. Tran, P. Novák, “Quantification of oxygen loss from Li1.1(Ni1/3Mn1/3Co1/3)0.9O2 at high potentials by differential electrochemical mass spectrometry”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society 156, A823-A827 (2009).
- F. La Mantia, M. Santamaria, H. Habazaki, F. Di Quarto, “The influence of thermal treatment on the electronic properties of a-Nb2O5”, ECS Transactions 19, 411-422 (2009).
- F. Rosciano, J.F. Colin, F. La Mantia, N. Tran, P. Novák, “Electrochemical stress at high potential to investigate phase transitions in Li1.1(Ni1/3Mn1/3Co1/3)0.9O2”, Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters 12, A140-A144 (2009).
- S.H. Ng, F. La Mantia, P. Novák, “A multiple-working-electrode electrochemical cell: a novel tool for current density distribution study”, Angewandte Chemie - International Edition 48, 528-532 (2009).
- T.J. Patey, A. Hintennach, F. La Mantia, P. Novák, “Electrode engineering of nanoparticles for lithium-ion batteries – Role of dispersion technique”, Journal of Power Sources 189, 590-593 (2009).
- F. La Mantia, P. Novák, “On-Line detection of reductive CO2 development at graphite electrodes in the 1 M LiPF6, EC:DMC battery electrolyte”, Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters 11, A84-A87 (2008).
- A.R. Armstrong, D.W. Tee, F. La Mantia, P. Novák, P.G. Bruce, “Synthesis of tetrahedral LiFeO2 and its behavior as a cathode in rechargeable lithium batteries”, Journal of the American Chemical Society 130, 3554-3559 (2008).
- F. La Mantia, F. Rosciano, N. Tran, P. Novák, “Direct evidence of oxygen evolution from Li1+x(Ni1/3Mn1/3Co1/3)1-xO2 at high potentials”, Journal of Applied Electrochemistry 38, 893-896 (2008).
- F. La Mantia, J. Vetter, P. Novák, “Impedance spectroscopy on porous materials: A general model and application to graphite electrodes of lithium-ion batteries”, Electrochimica Acta 53, 4109-4121 (2008).
- F. Di Quarto, F. La Mantia, M. Santamaria, “Recent advances on physico-chemical characterization of passive films by EIS and differential admittance techniques”, Corrosion Science 49, 186-194 (2007).
- F. Di Quarto, F. La Mantia, M. Santamaria, “Physicochemical characterization of passive films on niobium by admittance and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy studies”, Electrochimica Acta 50, 5090-5102 (2005).
Contributions to books
- F. Di Quarto, F. La Mantia, M. Santamaria, “Physicochemical characterization of passive films and corrosion layers by differential admittance and photocurrent spectroscopy”, Modern Aspects of Electrochemistry, Vol. 46, S. I. Pyun and J. W. Lee (Editors), Springer, 217-302 (Sep 2009).
- F. Di Quarto, F. La Mantia, M. Santamaria, “Amorphous semiconducting passive film-electrolyte junctions revisited. The influence of a non homogeneous density of state on the differential admittance behaviour of anodic α-Nb2O5”, Passivation of Metals and Semiconductors, and Properties of Thin Oxide Layers, P. Marcus and V. Maurice (Editors), Elsevier, 343-348 (May 2006).
Invited Keynote lectures
- F. La Mantia, “Extracting energy from the salinity difference: The mixing entropy battery”, Seminar “Recent development in electrochemical energy conversion: mixing entropy battery and solid acid fuel cells” – Palermo (Italy) (2011).
- F. La Mantia, H. Habazaki, M. Santamaria, F. Di Quarto, “Use of Mott-Schottky plots to characterize the amorphous passive film / electrolyte junction”, 8th Symposium on Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy – Carvoeiro (Portugal) (2010).
- M. Pasta, F. La Mantia, Y. Cui, “Pulsed electrochemical detection of glucose in blood-like media at gold electrodes”, Stanford, docket no. S10-197, marketing disclosure.
- F. La Mantia, M. Pasta, H.D. Deshazer, Y. Cui, “Mixing entropy battery”, Stanford, docket no. S10-123, marketing disclosure.